Friday, January 13, 2012

A Shiver of Fish&Chips?


I sure hope not!
These are Spurdogs, or Spiny Dogfish, a species that is much prized for its meat, to the point that some are considering the North Atlantic populations to be severely threatened with extinction. The fisheries agencies don't appear to concur as they are still being fished in the US, Canada and Europe, albeit under strict quota regimens.

Be it as it may, it's certainly way nicer to see them alive like here in Norway!
Very cute and I may add, surprisingly cocky, too!

Enjoy!



H/T: Lill!

3 comments:

OfficetoOcean said...

That dive looks ace, would love to do that, I have a soft spot for Smoothhounds seeing as it's all I really got to see in the aquaria here when I first started going.

Like the cartoony one as well :)

Chuck said...

I'm surprised that dive shops don't offer dogfish dives. They look like a blast.

DaShark said...

Totally agree - but are there any other such places where they can be seen reliably?